Below is our original post for the 2018 Harvest Fair. Fun, Food, Family!
Featuring Quilt Raffle, Harvest Café, Homemade Pies, Yard Sale, and More!
The Harvest Fair is an annual tradition that brings out the whole Melrose community. It will be held on Saturday, November 10 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Melrose Unitarian Universalist Church, at 70 West Emerson St., across from the Melrose Public Library.
The fair will feature baked goods, quilted crafts, pottery, holiday decorations, vintage jewelry and collectibles, plants and garden supplies, and a gigantic indoor yard sale, including household items, toys and books, electronics, tools, and sporting goods! There will be raffles, including a lovely hand-made quilt (shown below). We will also have our popular “re-gifting table” again, filled with brand new gifts to give to friends and family.
Harvest Cafe offers Breakfast and Lunch Menu
Downstairs, the Harvest Cafe will serve breakfast items including coffee cake and hot beverages. For lunch, vegetarian and meat chili, as well as other lunch options, will be available. Try our home-made apple crisp, brownies, and other yummy desserts!
One highlight of the fair is the Quilt Raffle. This year’s quilt was assembled with a block-of-the-month pattern called Common Threads created by Quilter’s Common in Wakefield, MA. The MUUC Quilters assembled it with the Sweet Sherbet palette of colors, including vibrant pink, green, blue, purple, and yellow pastels. The quilt measures 77 by 97 inches and could be used as a double bed quilt or a queen size coverlet. One raffle ticket can be purchased for $2 or buy 6 for $10.
The Raffle winner will be selected at the fair, Nov 10th at 2:00 pm, but does not have to be present at the time of the drawing.
Homemade Pies and Baked Goods
Each year over 30 pies with homemade crusts – apple, blueberry, cherry, pumpkin, and pecan – are freshly baked the day before the fair! Don’t miss out on this delectable treat! Available in family and personal sizes. Cookies, cakes, breads, and other homemade treats will also be available.
Come to shop, come to eat breakfast and lunch,
and come early for best selection! Bring your friends and neighbors!
Ways You Can Help
The Harvest Fair Committee is looking for YOU to join in the fun! This is a great way to get to know each other at MUUC. Here’s how you can help:
- Volunteer to staff the tables Saturday Nov. 10, during the fair
- Volunteer to Set Up: Tues-Fri, Nov. 6-9, when church is regularly open, and in the evenings from 7-9 pm
- Donate items to sell at the Upstairs tables (Crafts, Jewelry, Collectibles, Holiday, Re-gifting, Garden, Baked Goods and Raffles): Friday, Nov. 9, when church is regularly open, and in the evening from 7-9 pm
- Donate *** items *** to sell Downstairs (rummage-sale; see *** below): Tues-Fri, Nov 6-9, when church is regularly open, and in the evenings from 7-9 pm
- Contact Paula at harvestfair [at] melroseuu [dot] org if you need to arrange another time to bring items
- Volunteer to Clean Up afterwards, Saturday Nov. 10, 2-4 pm (an important job and fresh legs are needed!)
- Help with Apple Peeling: Thursday, Nov. 8, 7-9pm (ages 13+)
- Help Bake Pies at the church on Nov. 9, from 9 am – 3 pm. We would like to arrange for two shifts 9-12 and 12-3, or stay the whole time).
- Come one, come all! Come to shop and enjoy a meal. Invite your friends and neighbors!
Questions? Come to the Harvest Fair table during coffee hour or contact Paula at harvestfair [at] melroseuu [dot] org
Get involved – it really is a lot of fun working together to make the Harvest Fair a success!!
(*** = MUUC cannot accept the following clothing, furniture, computer monitors, televisions, large appliances, grills, propane tanks, large exercise equipment, or any item for which MUUC would have to pay a city fee for proper disposal in the event the item cannot sell. Any large item that does not sell needs to go back to your home)