The Harvest Fair is an annual tradition that brings out the whole Melrose community. It will be held on Saturday, November 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Melrose Unitarian Universalist Church, at 70 West Emerson St., across from the Melrose Public Library.
The fair will feature baked goods, quilted crafts, pottery, holiday decorations, vintage jewelry and collectibles, plants and garden supplies, and a gigantic indoor yard sale, including toys and baby needs, household items, books, and sporting goods. There will be Equal Exchange fair-trade coffee, teas, chocolates and nuts for sale (a portion of these sales goes to the UUSC Small Farmer’s Fund.) There will be raffles as well, including a lovely hand-made quilt (shown below). We will also have our popular “re-gifting table” again, filled with brand new gifts to give to friends and family.
Harvest Cafe offers Breakfast and Lunch Menu
Downstairs, the Harvest Cafe will be serving breakfast and coffee and beverages right from the start. As lunch nears, vegetarian and meat chili, as well as other lunch options, will be available, along with yummy desserts.
A highlight of the fair is the Quilt Raffle.
This year’s quilt is a traditional patchwork quilt using a “Churn Dash” pattern. The quilt will comfortably fit a King size bed or can be used on a Queen size bed with an extra 4 inches on each side. This lovely quilt is made with pinks, blues, and greens, and was pieced by the Melrose UU church quilting group. Beautiful!
Ways You Can Help
The Harvest Fair Committee is looking for YOU to join in the fun! This is a great way to get to know each other at MUUC. Here’s how you can help:
- Set Up: Tues-Fri, Nov. 7-10, when church is regularly open, and in the evenings from 7-9 pm
- Volunteer to be a Point Person for the Jewelry or Raffle Tables, Saturday Nov. 11, during the fair
- Staff the Tables: Saturday Nov. 11, during the fair
- Bring items for sale *** for the Upstairs tables: Friday, Nov. 10, when church is regularly open, and in the evening from 7-9 pm
- Bring items for sale *** for the Downstairs tables (yard-sale): Tues-Fri, 7-10, when church is regularly open, and in the evenings from 7-9 pm
- Contact the Harvest Fair Committee if you need to arrange another time to bring items for sale
- Clean Up afterwards, Saturday Nov. 11, 2-4 pm (an important job and fresh legs are needed!)
- Apple Peeling: Thursday, Nov. 9, 7-9pm for apple peeling (ages 13+)
- Pie Makers are needed on Friday. Nov. 10, from 9 am – 2 pm to help bake pies. Mary D. is our organizer: see her if you have any questions.
- Bakers are “kneaded” and encouraged to bring items for the ever-popular Baked Goods table. Drop off Friday night (preferably) or Saturday morning (baked goods are the only items accepted the morning of the fair)
- Bring home: Some yummy baked goods, white elephant items, crafts, plants, and more!
- The Harvest Cafe needs its next great Point Person.Our very own Michael O. has done this for a long time, and sadly he has said this needs to be his final year – BUT – there still is this year! And he’s excited to train the next Harvest Cafe leader. There’s quite an experienced group of volunteers who cook and serve tasty breakfasts and lunches, and he knows you can rely on them. So C’MON – step right up, learn from one of the best, enjoy great fellowship and lots of laughs and fun with the Kitchen Crew, and have a blast!
Questions? Contact Paula at pjmroz [at] gmail [dot] com
Get involved – it really is a lot of fun working together to make the Harvest Fair a success!!
(*** = MUUC cannot accept the following clothing, furniture, computer monitors, televisions, large appliances, grills, propane tanks, large exercise equipment, or any item for which MUUC would have to pay a city fee for proper disposal in the event the item cannot sell. Any large item that does not sell needs to go back to your home)