Thank You for your interest in our Bread of Life Hunger Ministry! Below are more details about the “nuts and bolts” regarding dates, times, locations, and tasks.
Please Join In!
MUUC will be preparing and serving dinner for Bread of Life on:
Thursday, November 29, at the Salvation Army Hall, 213 Main Street, Malden, MA
We will be serving about 75 meals for those in need.
Volunteers are needed for the following tasks:
- Cooks are needed from 1 pm till about 4 pm at the MUUC kitchen downstairs
- People to transport the food from MUUC to the Salvation Army Hall around 4 pm
- Servers/cleaners from 4 pm onward at the Salvation Army Hall. We should be all wrapped up by 6:45 – 7:00 pm.
- Please contact Mary D. or Martha B. to let them know you’re interested in helping.
MUUC will be preparing food, serving meals and doing cleanup for the Bread of Life on the following dates and locations in 2018
Thursday Meals are served at the Salvation Army Hall, 213 Main Street, Malden, MA. On-street parking; public transportation.
Friday Meals are served at the First Baptist Church, 493 Main Street, Malden, MA. On-street parking; public transportation. (note this has very limited onsite parking typically saved for those who are transporting the food in their vehicles)
NEXT: Thursday, November 29, 2018 (Mary D. and Martha B., co-leaders)
- Thursday, January 31, 2019
- Friday, March 1, 2019
- Friday, April 5, 2019
- Thursday, May 30, 2019
- Friday, July 5, 2019
- Thursday, August 29, 2019
- Thursday, October 31, 2019
- Friday, December 6, 2019
- subway (Orange Line, Malden Center, then walking or bus)
- commuter rail (Malden Center, then walking or bus)
- bus routes (All from Malden Center subway stop; Routes 131, 136, and 137 come directly from Melrose as well. Bus Routes To First Baptist: 99, 101, 104, 105, 106, 108, 131, 136, 137, 411, 430; Bus Routes To Salvation Army: 99, 104, 105, and 106; and also walking distance from the other First Baptist routes.
Typical Bread of Life tasks:
- Shopping is done around 930-1130 am (the day-before or the day “of”);
- Cooking is done later in the day (7-9 pm the night-before, or around 1-3 pm the afternoon “of”),
- Food is transported to serving location about 3:30 pm
- Meals are served from approximately 5:30-6:30 pm, followed by clean-up.
This can change, so please check the MUUC CALENDAR and website for possible updates to the above activity times as dates approach. If you have questions or are interesting in helping, you can also send an email to SocialJustice [at] MelroseUU [dot] org.
You don’t have to be present the whole time – assistance at any time is wonderful! Bring an apron, put your hair in a pony-tail and join in! Food-serving gloves are provided. Children, school-age and older, are welcome to help, provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.