Yankee Swap: First Monday in December at 6:30pm

Yankee Swap 2018

Yankee Swap 2018

Don B’s recipe:

We have done what I call the “Men’s Potluck and Yankee Swap” for over 20 years now. It’s pretty simple to pull together, and below I have listed some of the steps I do each year.

• Reserve for the night and a place. Ours is the first Monday in December, starting at 6:30 in the supper room.
    • MUUC has a men’s list distribution list so one email goes to that while another email goes to the whole congregation in order to snag folks that are not on the list, and to get spouses to kick their husbands out of the house! The first emails are generally the end of October so people can add it to their calendar. A couple of reminders go only to the men’s email list after the initial emails.
    • For the potluck, I have people bring an app, side, main, or dessert. Some years I’ve had a list in Parish Hall where people can sign up so we don’t get too much of one thing, but this has never been a problem. There is always plenty of food. I always bring some beverages including non-alcoholic stuff. I encourage people to bring a beverage of their choice, which often includes beer and wine.
    • For the swap, guys bring a wrapped, anonymous gift. I suggest a limit of $15 on the gift, but this has generally been quite variable at the discretion of each individual.
    • We start eating sometime after 6:30 and finish up at 7:30 or 7:45.
    • At gift time, all the gifts are put in the middle of the table. As the organizer, I always bring an extra gift in case somebody forgets theirs. That way, if someone forgets their gift they can still participate. If everyone has brought one, I save the extra gift for next year!
    • As organizer, I write on small pieces of paper numbers one through N where N is the number of gifts. I put them in a hat, and everyone picks a number.
    • There are different ways to do swaps, but we have always done it as follows:
      • Person with number 1 selects first and opens their gift.
        Number 2 selects next, opens their gift and can keep their gift or exchange with Number 1.
        Then number 3 opens a gift and can pick from the other two gifts or keep theirs.
        This goes on until the last person has picked.
      • No shaking or squeezing of gifts is permitted! After gifts are open, they must be kept on the table in front of you so folks can decide if they want to exchange. Some guys have invoked their background in theater to make quite a show of their selection process.
      • Finally, since Number 1 did not have an opportunity to exchange, they can select from all gifts, and do it one final swap.
  • Group photo with gifts!
  • Cleanup happens!
Previous slide
Next slide