Teachable Moments: Resources for Families
permission to use granted
Subject: Talking with children about “Black Lives Matter”
From our Unitarian Universalist Association’s Faith Development Team: How prepared are we to do the work of building a world where all people are affirmed and respected for their innate worth and dignity? UU specific resources for adults and youth are included.
For adults and families with older children: Resources and lessons on the History of Racism, International Human Rights, and more. Helping parents and families understand the long history of injustice and the struggle to embrace right relations.
Subject: Talking with children about school shootings
These are resources from the district to help you talk to children about school shootings and respond to their fears:
- Helping children cope after a school shooting, from the National Children’s Medical Center
- Video series with help answering questions from children and adolescents following a school shooting, from the Reston Psychological Center
- Helping children cope with trauma-related anxiety, from Mental Health America
- Strategies for talking with children about difficult news of all kinds, from PBS
- Information about coping with a traumatic event, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Trauma response resources for congregations, from the UU Trauma Response Ministry
Monthly themes that the entire congregation is exploring, including such subjects as ‘expectation’, ‘awe’, and ‘wisdom’.
Church of the Larger Fellowship: “Between Sundays”
This awesome website is designed to help parents and other adults answer religious questions raised by children and youth. From stories to lessons, games and puzzles to a wealth of other resources…this site is a project of the Church of the Larger Fellowship, an online congregation of Unitarian Universalists.
YRUU: Young Religious Unitarian Universalists
This site, as part of the UUA, lists continental-wide events and trainings, as well as many resources for youth.
UU Religious Education and Your Child
This is a pamphlet, produced by the UUA, to help answer questions regarding UU Sunday School and the Religious Education Program.